Wednesday 17 October 2012

Reading through my bookshelf - The Queen and I by Sue Townsend

OK.  I admit this book is an oldie but it's also very good.

I recently examined my bookshelves and admitted what I have been denying for some time.  At least a quarter of the books on my shelves remain unread.  I am horribly guilty of buying lots of books to read and forgetting about those which already await my attention.

As a result of this, I have decided to ban myself from buying any new books until I have read the ones I already own.  As I do this, I will write about them here.

'The Queen and I' was the first book I selected from the shelf.

I first discovered Sue Townsend through her 'Adrian Mole' books.  She is a witty writer and I have always enjoyed the escapism which her work provides.  This story is a well imagined scenario, in which the 1992 election is won by a republican candidate, who immediately dissolves the Monarchy and sends the entire Royal Family to live in a Northern Council Estate with just state benefits to live from.

The story is touchingly well observed, highlighting the plight of the poorest members of society without disrespecting the Queen or the Royal Family in any way.  It also demonstrates the way in which even the most underprivileged communities will stick together and help one another out through any hardship.  Viewing this situation through the lens of the Royal Family makes the situation seem even more extreme due to the stark contrast between the two lifestyles, which are expressed with very lighthearted and warm humour.

If you haven't already come across this book, it discusses issues which are still pertinent today and is well worth reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment