Sunday 2 September 2012

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy by Tim Burton

Last night, I was very pleased when, whilst rummaging through my bookshelves, I rediscovered my copy of 'The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy' by Tim Burton.

I still remember the moment when I first discovered this book.  It was at least 5 years ago.  I was in HMV with my brother Tom, and we were just looking around.  In the books section, I spotted 'Oyster Boy' and was intrigued.  I had no idea that Tim Burton wrote poetry but the second I looked inside and saw the amazing illustrations in Burton's unique and instantly recognisable style, I fell in love with it.  

I didn't buy the book at that moment but I was to be surprised.  That Christmas, Tom presented me with my own copy.  It was a great surprise and I was really pleased.  I read the book from cover to cover that very night.  It was amazing.  It only took about 15 minutes to read the whole thing but the content was great.  

In this book, Burton employs his gruesome, gothic imagination to stunning effect to create 23 tales of really weird misfit children and their terrifying (and often short) journeys through life.  One of the biggest things I loved about this book, was the way it reminded my adult brain of the buzz I got, as a kid, reading Roald Dahl's work.  Gruesome yet awesome. 

I've always said I would like to go for a walk through the world in Tim Burton's head and I must say that reading 'Oyster Boy' is almost like breaking into one of its streets and going for a disturbing and twisted walk (in a good way!) I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment