Monday 24 September 2012

Birthday Cakes

Everyone knows a birthday isn't the same without a good birthday cake.  Over the course of this year, I have made four birthday cakes and I thought I'd write a little bit about them here



The first cake I made was in February.  I made a tiger cake for my Godson's second birthday.  

The cake itself was double chocolate chip and was covered with chocolate buttercream icing, prior to the sugarpaste being applied.  I was particularly proud of the fact that, with the exception of the tail, every part of the tiger's anatomy - even his ears - were made of cake rather than big chunks of icing.  He loved his 'rah rah' cake a lot!



 
The second cake I made was in March for my boyfriend's mum's birthday. 

This was a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream again.  I decorated it with sugarpaste flowers, which I designed myself.  The whole cake was embellished with piped royal icing and sugar pearls.



The third cake was for my Mum's birthday in July. 

This cake was an awkward beast.  My mum wanted a chocolate walnut cake, my brother does not like nuts and my sister is allergic to chocolate.  As such, I had to find a compromise and this was it.  The bottom tier was a chocolate walnut sponge with chocolate buttercream.  The middle tier was a double chocolate chip sponge with chocolate buttercream and the top tier was a lemon sponge with lemon buttercream.  The variety went down well and I was pleased that the cake stayed in one piece!




The final cake was a joint effort.  In September, it was my Dad's 60th birthday and we were throwing a party for him.  We needed a cake that would feed 50+ people and this was it.
 

My sister made the cake on the left - a cherry sponge with plain buttercream - and I made the one on the right - a chocolate and vanilla marble cake with chocolate buttercream.

The idea for the design was to create the number 60 in the form of a painted canvas for the number 6 and a pallette for the 0.  The numbers were then surrounded with sugar paste versions of various things my dad likes.  We designed the decoration together but made them seperately.  We were pleased with the results and managed to get more than 50 slices out of them!


I wonder what the next cake I bake will be...



No comments:

Post a Comment