Thursday 30 August 2012

The Darkness - Hot Cakes

We are all familiar with The Darkness.  Their memorable guitar solos, combine with Justin's flawless falsetto to create a unique and gorgeous modern glam rock sound.

Last November, I was fortunate enough to see Justin, Dan, Frankie and Ed live for the second time, when they performed at the Hammersmith Apollo.  It was clear then that they had not lost their touch - not by a mile!  I can't express strongly enough how pleased I was to see them back, and with their original line up.  And I am not the only one.  Brian May, himself, stood on stage with them and said how pleased he was that they were back - and he would not make a random appearance to jam with just anybody.

Just over a week ago, I was really excited about purchasing my copy of the talented Lowestoft band's new album 'Hot Cakes'.  After years of believing I might never again hear new material from this most glamorous, humorous and talented of rock groups, it was a relief and a thrill to know a new album had been released and, more to the point, I was clutching a copy in my hot little hand!

The album is, in my humble opinion, fantastic.  It has a soulful mixture of styles with some profound lyrics which are sprinked with a healthy dose of Darkness silliness.  Not only that, the album cover art work looks great.  It is not as heavy as 'Permission to Land' and it is much less random than 'One Way Ticket' but I still love it.  I think anyone with an ounce of common sense and good taste will love it too.

Above all, I am beyond happy that this album exists at all.  The Darkness were born to make cool rock music and I think they should keep doing it forever!  :-)  


Clutching my copy of 'Hot Cakes' in my hot little hand.

2 comments:

  1. my sentiments exactly! Although I haven't heard the new album yet I'm sure it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great album. It grows on you as you listen. Have you had a chance to listen to it yet?

      Delete