Saturday 29 September 2012

Essex and Suffolk Quilters - Jubilee Quilt Festival

I just returned home from the Jubilee Quilt Festival, organised by the Essex and Suffolk Quilters.  I decided to take my Mum as she has been a quilter for as long as I can remember.

When we walked into the Village Hall, I couldn't believe how many quilts were hung up for display.   There were, in fact over 91 individual pieces.  There were too many to mention individually so I will mention a few, which really stood out for me. 

First of all, was 'Jungle Fever' by Sheila Frankland.  Her use of green and purple tones on batik fabric really appealed to me.  I loved the colour combination and the pattern was also attractive.

'Lottie's Jelly' by Margaret Stickland taught me what a 'Jelly Roll' is.  The quilt was a strip quilt with a pink background and a pattern of pink and green tones in the centre, made up with horizontal strips of fabric.  It was a lovely piece.

Pauline Stimson placed two pieces in the show; 'Floral Bouquet', which consisted of pretty patchwork floral motifs on a creamy background and 'Perklomen Valley Quilt', which was made up of various squares and triangles of purpley pink colours, carefully put together to create a subtle and interesting design.

'Mile a Minute' by Hilary Davis was a small quilt made up of squares.  The squares were consisted of oddly angled strips of green and purple fabric.  the overall effect of this was beautiful.

'London Pride' by Sheila Gray taught me a second cakey patchwork term - 'Layer Cake' This piece was made up of a range of typically British images and really captured the Jubilee year atmosphere.

Anne Moscrop had created a stunning quilt, which depicted a beautiful scene, showing, as the title suggests, a 'Mountain, Fields and Water Wall'.  

Lynne Edwards MBE (an honorary member) exhibited a quilt using what is called the 'Cathedral Window' technique.  She had used this in an interesting and different way, which made it look rather like an abstract peacock. 

I was also impressed by Sarah Impey (another honorary member)'s piece called 'Timelines', in which she depicted a collection of words to do with time.  It really appealed to my geeky language loving side!  The use of colour accentuated particular words to good effect.

Aside from the exhibition, there were fabrics on sale as well as items made by members.  Really good if you want to buy some unique Christmas presents.

I am not a quilter but I enjoyed the exhibition.  It was well worth a look.


The exhibition of work by members of the Essex and Suffolk Quilters was held in the Village Hall, Ford Lane, Alresford and will still be on tomorrow, so, if you are interested, go and have a look!

The Essex and Suffolk Quilters meet on the 2nd Thursday of the month at The Hythe Community Centre, 1 venture Place, Colchester CO1 2FG.

No comments:

Post a Comment