Sunday 12 August 2012

Colchester Poetry Open Mic Night

I have been writing poetry for many years but I was never brave enough to perform it in public.  

Last night, having read a couple of poems out at meetings with both SKOPT and Colchester Poetry, I attended the Poetry Open Mic Night at 15 Queen Street, Colchester.

I really enjoyed listening to the different styles of poetry and the variety of performance styles I heard.  As a result, I am really looking forward to the performances which are scheduled to take place at the Colchester Free Festival at the end of the month.

At the start of the evening, I was uncertain whether I would have the nerve to perform but as the evening went on, I made the decision to have a go.  In the end I performed 6 of my poems and I think it went well.  Now that I've given it a go, I hope to develop my performances.


The poems I performed were:


Tears
Dreams
The Schizophrenic Sound
The Beast
A Moral Tale of Childhood Obesity
Condemnation 

Here is one of them:


TEARS by Annie Bell

Tears
Rolling down the inside of my eyes.
Hiding my mess
For it must be disguised.
Comfort and love;
Nothing but lies.
What have I lost?
"Nothing!" they cry
But still
Wells that feeling, continuing to rise.
I'm broken.
Betrayer, it's you I despise.

No comments:

Post a Comment