Friday 31 May 2013

Wilfred Owen - Inspiration

What do you think of when you hear the name Wilfred Owen? What crosses your mind? School?  English lessons?  World War One? 


As a general rule, I think it would be fair to say that the majority of people first come across Owen's poetry in English lessons in secondary school.  All too often, students are subjected to a dry discussion and analysis of one of his poems, along with a dull PowerPoint presentation about the First World War and are expected to regurgitate the information to form an appropriate answer to an examination question or piece of coursework. I am sure too many of you can relate to this.


The sad result of this is that all too many students end up seeming to feel disenchanted with Owen's work, complaining on Facebook and Twitter about their studies and longing for their exams to be over, so that they can forget about Wilfred Owen and his wordy poetry for the rest of their lives. This is a real shame and I hope that, having read this, you will begin to love Owen, and his poetry, as much as I do.


Like most people, I was introduced to Wilfred Owen's work when I was sixteen and preparing for my English Literature GCSE.  Like many young people, I was more interested in bands and boys than I was in the plight of soldiers who had lived long before I was born.  This is what makes it all the more amazing that Wilfred Owen managed to capture my attention in the way that he did.  


As you probably do, I vividly remember the day when, entrenched in my English classroom, I first heard the shocking opening lines of 'Dulce et Decorum Est'.  I remember my 16 year old self being shocked and sickened by the horrifying scenes, which were portrayed in that poem. The gruesome realism of the poetry inspired incredible pathos in me and I felt utterly inspired.  Much more than that though, I also remember being utterly humbled and impressed at the sheer skill and pure wordsmithing GENIUS, which had been drawn upon to sculpt that work of art (For Owen's poetry is pure art). This may seem pretentious but it is also the truth.  At that moment, 'Dulce et Decorum Est' became my favourite poem of all time and I have always remembered the profound effect it had on me. 


Recently, while taking an AS in English Literature (15 years after the lesson I referred to earlier,) I came to study Owen's work in more detail. I was immensely impressed by everything about his poetry. 


Moving on, I will now say a little bit about Owen's life. Wilfred Edward Salter Owen was born on March 18th 1893 at Plas Wilmot in Oswestry, to Tom and Susan Owen. Plas Wilmot was a beautiful house, which had been in Wilfred's mother's family for generations. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond their control, the house had to be sold, when Wilfred was just four years old. During his childhood, the family moved from Oswestry to Shrewsbury, then to Birkenhead and back to Shrewsbury in various houses, as the years rolled on. Throughout his youth, Owen experimented with poetry in various forms. He was greatly inspired by the poetry of his heroes and particularly the poetry of John Keats. He even made a pilgrimage to the house where Keats lived and stood in awe, imagining his hero living and writing there.


As many young people do, Owen had a number of different jobs, before eventually moving to France in 1913, where he taught English, on a freelance basis. He was living in France, when war broke out in 1914. It was not long, before, inspired by some of his literary heroes, he made the fateful decision to return to the UK and join up in the Army, to do his bit for the war effort.


It was in late 1915, Owen joined up to the Artists' Rifles regiment; a regiment for men in the arts. Later on, he was commissioned into the Manchester Regiment. By the start of 1917, following extensive training and preparation, he found himself in France. He was horrified by the appalling and freezing conditions but he carried on regardless and did his duty to the best of his ability.


Like a lot of soldiers, In June 1917, Owen was evacuated from the battlefield, suffering with shell shock. He had seen some horrendous scenes, which I doubt we could ever imagine, even in our wildest dreams. While his poems give an insight into the harrowing experiences he undoubtedly gained, he affords his reader, in some poems, a sense of distance, which almost provides a layer of protection from the grisly truth, despite his graphic descriptions. In July, whilst receiving treatment for his shell shock, in Craiglockhart hospital, he met Siegfried Sassoon; a fellow soldier and poet. Sassoon believed there was much to be gained from telling the truth about the war, through poetry. He became firm friends with Owen and the two worked closely on their poetry. Assisted by this friendship, Owen's poetry went from strength to strength until he had created the body of poetic masterpieces, which have made him one of the greatest First World War poets.


A year after being evacuated from the battlefield, Owen returned to France. He was awarded the Military Cross for an assault on the Beaurevoir Fonsomme line. The decision, to return to active service, was to prove fatal. Owen was killed in action, on the bank of the Oise-Sambre Canal, near to Ors on 4th November 1918; just a week before the war ended. 


Wilfred (as I am fond of calling him) now occupies a special place in my heart.  Reading about his life in Jon Stallworthy's biography, it is impossible to imagine how such a sensitive and artistic human being was able to become the war hero he was.  From a young age, Owen was fascinated by poetry and was determined to become a successful poet, like his hero John Keats, before him. Ironically, he was also obsessed with dying young; a strangely prophetic thought, considering he was to lose his life in the very war which would rob the world of – arguably - the best poet of his time. Who knows what literary gems he might have produced, had he survived.


I hope this has inspired you to think differently about your studies of Wilfred Owen. Remember, there is more to the study of literature than just learning the basic facts. Behind every poet, and author is a story; a person. 


For more information on Wilfred Owen, it is worth checking out the Wilfred Owen Association website - www.wilfredowen.org.uk




1 comment:

  1. I've read your piece on Wilfred and I must say that you're one of the few who are beginning to understand just how great this man was.Like you said I didn't become aware of Wilfred until I was older ,and to my eternal shame never knew he was living in my home town of Birkenhead.Even more of a surprise was finding out that he lived in Elm Grove,close to the street that I grew up in .Even more of a surprise was that he went to the Birkenhead Ins. I knew that area like the back of my hand,but never knew that the greatest war poet of all time was part of my heritage .But now all that has changed for the better and I feel his words.
    What is even MORE of a surprise was that during the Americaan civil war,the American ambassador had lived in the same street that Wilfred had lived at in 1864.I found this out by accident.
    In truth of fact,I'm finding out day by day just how my home town gave the world so many things.Good luck with your work .I look forward to more. All he best P G PARSLEY.

    ReplyDelete