Monday 6 May 2013

Penny

On April 13th, I was heartbroken as my beloved cat Penny died.  Aged 17 years and 9 months, he had had a very good innings (87 human years) and he died, in my arms, without me having to make any difficult decisions.  This, in itself was amazing, bearing in mind the number of times he had come close to that over the past 9 months with his kidneys and the arthritis in his hips playing him up.










I loved him so very much.  He's been gone three weeks and even though a new little cat, called Jack, has come to live with me, I still miss Penny awfully.  He had been my cat since he was 2 and I was 17.  He has left a huge hole in my life.





 
In his memory, I thought I would share with you a poem, which I wrote about him back in 2009.  He was an enormous softy and a killing machine, who loved nothing more than to toast himself in the sun after killing and eating a juicy rabbit or mouse.
  







Penny Cat
By Annie Bell

Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  Where have you been?
I've been up to London, to visit the Queen.
Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  Tell me the truth.
Ok, I was eating rabbits on the roof.

Penny Cat, Penny Cat, Are you OK?
I'm fine - I've just been asleep all day.
Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  You lazy beast!
Not really!  At nightfall, I'm in for a feast.

Penny Cat, Penny Cat, What do you mean?
I'll be out on the rampage; there's rabbits to glean.
Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  Don't be so cruel.
I can't help my instincts.  I catch my own fuel.

Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  I feed you too.
But I hate stinky cat meat.  It smells just like poo.
Penny Cat, Penny Cat.  What do you need?
To sleep, then to kill things, sleep more and then feed.

Penny Cat, Penny Cat, I do love you.
Purr Purr, Jojee ... feed me.  I love you too!


© Annie Bell 2013
Penny Cat 
22-07-1995 to 13-04-2013

2 comments:

  1. A lovely tribute to an awesome kitteh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw.. Thanks Tom. He was a good boy and a bit of a legend!

      Delete