Monday 7 May 2018

Jane's Walk - Monkwick Memories - A Charlotte White Story


Regular followers of this blog will already be aware of the extensive research I have carried out, into the life and afterlife of Charlotte White, nee Smyth, the daughter of prominent Colchester MP Sir George Henry Smyth, who lived at Berechurch Hall, Colchester in the first half of the 19th Century. Links to previous posts can be found at the end of this post.

Yesterday, I was honoured to have been asked to play a role in a 'Jane's Walk' that was taking place in Monkwick, Colchester. The walk promised to include information about a range of local history, including some of the places connected with Charlotte's life. 

It was a wonderful, sunny afternoon, just perfect for a stroll. Those, who had joined the walk, enjoyed stories of Monkwick's history and life growing up there, from Cllr Dave Harris and Wayne Baker. Please click here for images from the day.

When, about halfway through the walk, the participants were led into the gates of St Michael's Church, they were in for a surprise. 


They walked up the path, through the churchyard and into the Audley Chapel, where they were able to take in the various memorials and interesting architectural features, which have been preserved by the Churches Conservation Trust. One of those memorials is Charlotte White's memorial - a beautiful white marble relief sculpture with a wonderful epitaph.


As the walkers stepped out of the chapel, they were greeted by 'Charlotte' - me fully dressed as Charlotte and in character. 


I performed my poem 'My Past Existence', which expresses Charlotte's frustration at being sought as a ghost. It is the opening to my novel. 

To see the performance, please click below.

 

After I had disappeared, the walk continued, through Charlotte's Grove, until they reached the site where Charlotte's pool once stood. There, they were joined by Charlotte once more.




The group then listened, as I read them an extract from 'Charlotte - The Lady in White', in which it is her 10th birthday and her Daddy takes her into the woods and shows her the grotto he has had built for her. A video of the reading is below.


It was a real honour to be given the opportunity to bring some aspects of Charlotte's story and history to life in such a way and I owe Wayne Baker many thanks for giving me the opportunity to contribute to the walk he organised.


A note on the novel itself

Despite my hideous neglect of this page over the past two years, I have been working on my writing quietly and I am proud to be able to announce that I have a completed manuscript for 'Charlotte - The Lady in White'. Now, I am in the process of seeking an agent and / or publisher, so that her story can finally be released for the world to see. If anyone can help, please get in touch! 
Annie Bell on Facebook 
Annie Bell on Twitter

For previous posts on the subject of Charlotte White (nee Smyth) please see the links below.

Charlottes Pool - History and Legend
More on Charlotte White nee Smyth
My Past Existence - Charlotte White nee Smyth
Charlotte's Pool
Charlotte Exhibition Preparation Part 2
Charlotte Exhibition Preparation Part 1
Charlotte's Pool Colchester


© Annie Bell 2018

To purchase a copy of 'Charlotte -The Lady in White' a novel based on the Life of Charlotte White, nee Smyth, please click the link below


No comments:

Post a Comment