Tuesday 17 November 2015

The Bird - a poem

In light of recent events across the world, I, like most people, have been pondering the importance of love over hate and light over darkness.

Back when I was sixteen (1996, eek!), I wrote a poem about freedom and peace, which I confess is a little cynical but which has been playing in my mind rather a lot since the weekend, so I thought I would share it. 

The poem is by no means perfect - there are rhythmic errors in it, but I felt that it should be presented as my sixteen year old self would have wanted it. 

The Bird

If I were a bird up high in a tree,
I'd live life in peace as free as can be.

My eyes they would sparkle, my beak it would sing,
In time with the old church as Sunday bells ring.

I would fly to your rooftop to sing you a song
Of freedom and peace as the old bells they dong.

The guns would still shoot, the trees would still fall
And religious conflicts would cause trouble to all.

If I were a bird up high in a tree,
Lets face it you'd shoot me, I'm dispensable, me.
 
© Annie Bell 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment