Monday 11 August 2014

Not About Heroes - Westacre Theatre - AMAZING!

"This book is not about heroes. English poetry is not yet fit to speak of them. Nor is it about deeds, or lands, nor anything about glory, honour, might, majesty, dominion or power, except War." - The opening of the preface, written by Wilfred Owen, for the publication of his War Poems. 

Earlier this week, I discovered, through the Wilfred Owen Association, that the play 'Not About Heroes' by Stephen Macdonald would be performed in various locations across the country. Better than that, one of those performances was to take place in Norfolk - an easy but lengthy drive from my home - at the Westacre Theatre

I went along with my mum - Lesley. As I navigated the country lanes to find the theatre, I had absolutely no idea what to expect and I was a little worried, hoping that my hero - Wilfred - would be portrayed sensitively and accurately. Whatever ideas were flying through my mind, I couldn't have predicted the experience I was about to have. 

The Play
 
In 1917, war poets and soldiers Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon were both in-patients at Craiglockhart Hospital in Edinburgh, where they developed a close friendship, rooted in their love of reading and writing poetry, their belief in the futility of the war and a need to tell the truth about it. Indeed, after Owen's death on 4th November 1918, just a week before the Armistice, it was Sassoon, who arranged for the posthumous publication of Wilfred's war poems.
 
Not About Heroes by Stephen Macdonald tells the story of Siegfried and Wilfred's friendship. based around the letters and poems of both poets. As a result, the story is portrayed sympathetically, accurately and with just enough humour.

The Westacre Production

As for the production. I have one word for you - WOW. 
 
Before I describe the experience of this genuinely brilliant production, I must tell you that, with the exception of the director - David Connor, the four main people involved in this piece of theatre took part, courtesy of the Westacre Theatre Bursary Awards scheme which enables drama undergraduates to work with the in house theatre company during the summer season. As such, it was, essentially a student production.

The production, designed and directed superbly by David Connor, who had clearly researched the period and protagonists in great detail, demonstrated equally excellent set construction and decoration, lighting and sound design and operation by Mel Kirwan and Merlyn Salter, which was genuinely impressive, recreating the atmosphere of the time very well, through a wide variety of staging and lighting techniques. 

The most impressive aspects of this production were, by far, the performances of Ross Chandler as Siegfried Sassoon and Oliver Parkes as Wilfred Owen. It was clear to me that both of them had researched the men they were portraying in great detail and I am absolutely sincere in saying that both their performances moved me to tears. So incredible were their performances that they captivated the audience and eclipsed everything else in the auditorium.

Ross Chandler articulated his role, as upper class, privileged Sassoon, superbly and with excellent comic timing. He came across as every bit the well to do, stiff upper lipped but ultimately kind man Siegfried Sassoon was. Chandler balanced the facets of his character believably through his voice, mannerisms, posture and expressions, never losing Sassoon's essential 'Englishness', yet allowing just enough of his real emotion to show through.

Oliver Parkes, as Wilfred Owen, was wonderful. He managed to express every aspect of Owen's complicated character with real dignity, sympathy and sincerity, showing the physical and emotional effects of shell shock, expressing Wilfred's emotional intensity, balancing this with his shyness. I have read a lot about Wilfred Owen, his character and his life, and I genuinely found this performance to be completely faultless. I know that Wilfred himself would have been moved and impressed by Parkes' portrayal of him. 

Both Ross Chandler and Oliver Parkes showed immense talent, the maturity of their performances belying their years. They showed genuine commitment to the roles with which they had been entrusted. My mum and I were both really impressed. 


 The Theatre
The Westacre Theatre is a beautiful building, in a serene countryside location. It is a great surprise in the middle of the Norfolk countryside. The people on the door and behind the bar could not have been more friendly, accommodating or kind. My mum and I have never experienced such fantastic hospitality in a theatre.

And finally ...

So all in all, my mum and I both felt that 'Not About Heroes' at the Westacre Theatre was by far the best performance we had ever had the pleasure of seeing and the experience offered by this little theatre and the people at its heart was second to none. Was it worth the long drive? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment