Wednesday 10 April 2013

Smoky Depths - a poem

Here is a poem I wrote on Monday night.  It's a bit doom and gloom but life can be like that sometimes.   


Smoky Depths
by Annie Bell

The smoky depths of my soul billow through my mind,
Swirling, enticing, depressing.
I used to be so cheery;
My disco interior buoyant like Billy Ocean's music,
Belying my gothic exterior show.
Leather and lace danced to Abba and ABC.
Now?
Such as things are?
My disco facade buoys others along.
My hollow laughter belies my sadness.
My gothic insides as black as the grave.
Grey sunlight beams shards of asphalt joy.
They did this to me.
Black shadows swallow all hope.
Hope.
I remember thoughts of hope.
Stupid, futile hope.
The world is a pit - a well - full of concealed snakes.
Their venomous teeth pierced my armour a while back.
Their poison is slowly strangling, destroying and killing me.
Their ice has frozen my life blood; curdling it into slow moving slush.
My dreams are lost in a perpetual crush.

© Annie Bell 2013

4 comments:

  1. Great work. I really like the story. I love your blog, keep it up the good work. I can't wait to see what it is next.
    honey onyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I appreciate your kind words. Annie.

      Delete
  2. Excellent poem and the thematic material in good hands. I thought the imagery was very original and individual too. It reminded me of this line from Dante's Divine Comedy - Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
    However I would match his line and say there is always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your really constructive comment. It is much appreciated. It is a work of pure pessimism but that was the intention - I'm actually quite optimistic really - honest!

    ReplyDelete