Thursday 6 December 2012

Colchester Poetry December Meeting

On Tuesday night, this week, I attended December's meeting of Colchester Poetry.

It was a fantastic evening, with Baden Prince Junior providing a workshop on performance, which was both entertaining and informative.  I, personally, gained a lot from the workshop, learning how to handle performance anxiety amongst other things.

In the second half of the meeting, everyone read out poems they had prepared on the themes of 'Medusa' and 'Blank'.  As always, it was thoroughly enjoyable and I enjoyed the poems I heard.

I wrote a poem for the occasion, based on the themes, which I have chosen to share below.

Colchester Poetry meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 15 Queen Street.  

Grecian Liar
by Annie Bell

Shall I compare thee to the great Medusa?
Thou art more dangerous and more toxic
Than she could ever be.
Thy head of vicious snakes invisible
Might terrify me to my very soul
But no-one else can see them;
Thou keepest them concealed
Beneath thy veil of pure deceit
And all remain deceived.
But not me.
Thou art my own personal Medusa.
One look at you and my mind goes blank
As my body turns to stone.
Thou art my own personal Medusa.
Thou spakest of me with venomous tongues
That hissed and spat acidic filth.
Thou art my own personal Medusa.
A vile, vicious, cruel and nasty abuser.
Medusa;
A liar, a cheat, a bloody confuser.
Now I have exposed thee, come not near me,
For from today, I will never more fear thee,
For I'll cut off thy snake heads 
With a sword of wisdom; of truth.
So never darken my door again
Or I'll write thee a vicious end with my pen. 

© Annie Bell 2012


6 comments:

  1. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword (with apologies to Excalibur). I do like the rhythm of this Annie, and the 'sentiment', although it's obviously not sentimental.

    Maybe I mean the energy or the flow of it. And the rhyme of Medusa and abuser.

    Super splendid, innit....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's a cool take and twist on Medusa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A inspiring piece. Lovely use of language and I love the twist of the threat in the final line.

    ReplyDelete